Sunday, March 14, 2010

Scrapple


Even though I grew up in this area and relocated back to the area over 3 years ago, I still had never tried scrapple, one of the notable foods of the Philadelphia region. Perhaps knowing that it is typically made from any variation of pig parts kept me at bay. Although from what I understood, it is much like Spam, which I always liked fried crispy and in a sandwich like a blt. So why wouldn’t I enjoy scrapple?

MidAtlantic Tap Room has many variations of scrapple on their menu – traditional pork, crab and vegetarian. Apparently what makes “scrapple’ scrapple is the cornmeal and onion base. So I decided it was high time I tried it. I started out tame by ordering the vegetarian option which is made with mushrooms and other vegetables. What’s not to like about cornmeal and vegetables. Through Mugshots buying club you can order the traditional variety that comes from Green Meadow Farms. Well, if I am going to try scrapple at least I know that they are sourcing the meat sustainably. Besides, isn’t it more sustainable to eat all of the pig?

The order comes in a brick-like block, again much like Spam, so why not start by preparing it in the same way – sliced thin and fried crispy. As it is typically eaten at breakfast, I decided to make my own variation on huevos rancheros since I had some leftover tomatillo salsa. The salsa is incredibly easy to make. In a food processor, blend about 12 oz of tomatillos, a small bunch of cilantro, 2 garlic heads, 1 jalepeno and some salt. I typically include an avocado for some additional body, but that’s optional. Over a warmed tortilla, I spread some of Bobbi’s black bean hummus and then placed the fried egg and fried scrapple with the salsa on top. While I found it easier to eat like a taco than with a fork and knife, the flavors and textures - spicy and soft and crunchy – were complimentary all in one bite. I would definitely eat that scrapple again.

Last year Reading Terminal Market hosted Scrapplefest to “Celebrate all things scrapple”. If they hold another one this year, I’ll be sure to check it out. You can listen to a report on the festival and scrapple experts on this episode of Chef’s Table. The vegan scrapple, Vrapple, won second prize.

My next challenge is to make a vegetarian variation of scrapple. Most of the ones I found use some sort of soy product, including Vrapple. But I really want to make it all vegetable and non-soy based, similar to the one at MidAtalantic. If anyone has a good recipe, let me know!

4 comments:

  1. Dear Alex,
    I heard through the grapevine that you had purchased some fiddlehead ferns the other day and were thinking of how to prepare them. I have only had them once, a long while ago, but they were dipped in a tempura like batter and then fried. Very good. The Farmer's Market season is almost upon us! Mary Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alex,
    Do we have scrapple out here in Berkeley? It sounds like a great camping food too. I agree with you about using all parts of the pig. Most cultures around the world use all parts of the animal. They have figured out delicious ways to use all parts. Talk about sustainable! Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Carol, Yes! I did buy and cook fiddlehead ferns recently. I sauteed them with onions and bacon and served over pasta. Will post about that too. Very pretty, but perhaps too pricey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steph, Not sure where it would be found in Berkeley, since I only started eating it here! Might be a little hard to pack camping - might get mushy fast in the pack. There is even a vegetarian option. Apparently the cornmeal is the part that makes it "scrapple", not the pork. Crab scrapple is good too.

    ReplyDelete